Brent always stays busy (although sometimes he's "busy" here or here), but every once in a while he gets a fire lit under him. We never really know when it'll happen, but we always enjoy the results and the energy that seems to spread from him to us.
A recent fire occurred when we returned from Christmas vacation. He worked on various electrical "issues" (read: unfinished projects from 4 years ago) all day and into the wee hours of the morning. This involved multiple trips under the house, into the attic, and to Lowe's. It also involved a volt meter, wire strippers, a huge drill, copious amounts of both white and yellow wiring, and some creative measures to thread the wires through our old walls. Can I tell you how nice it is to have switch plates and switches instead of bare wires hanging out of the walls?? No. Words can't express.
Now, don't get too excited, some of these new switches don't do anything YET, but we are wired and ready to go once we decide on backyard lights and once he vents that bathroom exhaust fan through the roof. But, I have electricity IN my bathroom. In two places!! I have tucked that extension cord away and my hair dryer is much happier in it's new home.
Well, for today's fire he took 30 minutes, an air compressor, pneumatic nail gun, drill, and vacuum cleaner and attacked some wooden issues. He fixed some shoe molding that was loose and also fixed two major kitchen drawers that have never worked correctly. You may once again read this as a 4 year old problem. That. Took. 30. Minutes. To. Fix.
This is so typical of us that it shouldn't be funny, but it is. These things just don't bother us over time (actually, in the case of the drawers, I thought they couldn't be fixed...they've bothered me plenty!).
And then his energy started to spread...
While using the vacuum to clean up, he took a minute to teach Grant to vacuum. This child has never liked loud noises. As of yesterday he still ran from the room if I turned on the blender. But Brent helped him conquer this fear and now that little cutie is pulling the little shop vac around the house with Reid vacuuming everything. I can barely hear Grant's hysterical laugh over the sound of the vacuum, but I can imagine it's sound when I see his huge dimples. I, too, remember the delight of discovery...the vacuum "sticks" to everything, including mommy. I have seized the opportunity to show them how cool it is to suction dust bunnies, crumbs, and spider webs...this place should be clean in no time!
What a difference from last night when both boys were feverish and too tired to do anything more than read books! I can feel the energy, too (did you notice how my brain returned enough to post again today?).
Brent's at Elliot's right now obtaining the correct screws needed to fix some door hardware that, yes, has not been correctly installed for four years.
Like I said, we don't know when it'll strike, but it's best not to question gifts like these.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's so sweet! I haven't managed to get Fin to vacuum yet, but this does inspire me to try.
Post a Comment