Without researching much yet, I think the following will prove the most challenging:
- fruit*
- vegetables*
- packaged products (mac'n'cheese, crackers, sugar, tea)
- specialty items (like olive oil, olives, coconut oil, coconut meat, balsamic vinegar, spices)
- fish
Luckily, we bought half of a cow (a freezer full) from from my parents' ranch and we buy milk, eggs, chicken, pork, cheese, and yogurt from a local farmer.
OK, now for a bit of a rant...
Have you seen Fast Food Nation? I was disturbed to say the least. Additionally, I read a case study (through my JustFaith class) about Tyson's chicken farms. Let me just say that not only are the conditions for the workers inhumane, but the animals aren't healthy or processed cleanly...YUCK.
Oh, and don't even get me started on genetic modification! The GM seeds spread via the wind, etc., contaminate the crops of other farmers, and then the farmers' crops are all of a sudden owned by the company with the patent on the GM! As if small farmers don't have enough trouble working along side the big guys who get all the government support, now they are being sued for patent infringement!
Variety (both in plant and animal species) is a necessary part of evolution - crucial in times of environmental change. Variety will happen naturally, but not when people are so involved in modifying genes! GMO and cloning are short-sighted and irresponsible. And the fact that the FDA doesn't require labels to disclose these important facts about our food reeks of big business and special interest groups.
PS I'm (happily) 100% better and I walk around extolling the virtues of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with "Mother" culture. I mean, honestly, possible side-effects are weight-loss and better joint function (among others) so you might as well try it and see if you can get the mucous in your head to thin and drain. 'Nuf said!
No comments:
Post a Comment