I've been experimenting with some sort of snack bar/energy bar recipe. For the boys (that's my excuse, at least :) ). The first batch was yummy, but didn't hold together too well. That didn't stop me and Reid from gobbling it all up! The second batch is in the fridge. It's a base of oatmeal with lots of dried fruit, coconut, and nuts. I just made extra soaked steel-cut oats for breakfast. They were soaked in water and whey overnight for added nutrient absorption. The added bittersweet chocolate on top? Well, that's just because I'm trying to compete (in the boys' hearts) with Lara bars which are delicious in their own way, but $3 each! The chocolate is absolutely not because I'm addicted to dark chocolate, not at all!

I also finally bottled my latest batch of "home brew." I couldn't taste anything last week (no sense of taste or smell from the illness) so I wasn't sure if it was ready. I brew a fermented drink called kombucha. Wikipedia says, "Kombucha contains many different cultures along with several organic acids, active enzymes, amino acids, anti-oxidants, and polyphenols." It's a traditional soda-like drink...it's naturally carbonated by the fermenting. You can buy commercial kombucha (for about $3 a bottle!) at Whole Foods and Roy's Natural Food Market.
When it's "ready" is purely subjective and we like our's to have a stronger flavor (which means less sugar is left). I was a little worried that it would be too strong by today, but it's perfect! The boys prefer it sweeter...when it tastes more like sparkling apple juice.

I also made yogurt cheese today. The yogurt we get from our farmer is too drippy for the boys to eat so I thickened it some using cheesecloth so they can still get all of the great benefits of the raw milk yogurt. YUM.
OK, that's it in the kitchen.
No comments:
Post a Comment