Friday, November 14, 2008

"Run the Rock, Rock the Cause"

Our fundraising page for the White Rock Marathon is up. The race benefits Texas Scottish Rite hospital for children (where Reid is a patient). Our whole family is excited about benefiting the hospital this year. The boys have been patient with and supportive of our training and they're even running up and down our block and practising hills for their portion of the race...they want to help us over the finish line.

Our fundraising goal is $7,000 which is the approximate cost of Reid's current prosthesis. Other than that, we are running to raise awareness for this amazing hospital! Here's a quote from the main marathon page:

For more than 10 years, Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children (TSRHC) has been the primary beneficiary of the Dallas White Rock Marathon. TSRHC treats Texas children with orthopedic conditions such as scoliosis, hand disorders, hip disorders and limb length differences as well as certain related neurological disorders and learning disorders such as dyslexia at no charge to patient families. The marathon provides financial support for TSRHC through race registration and sponsorships, allowing the hospital to continue to provide the highest quality medical care to Texas children.

You can check out the White Rock Marathon Patient Champions (scroll down to Reid), keep track of our fundraising progress, and/or you can always check on Reid or read old journal entries on Caring Bridge.

Channel 8 has interviewed all of us (even Grant!) and they will create a "story" about us that will be played during their live coverage of the race (December 14th). They chose to meet us out at White Rock after my longest run so far...I'd been up since 4:30am, I dressed in the dark, and wore no make-up...please be understanding...LOL

Thank you for spreading the word about our efforts!
Whitney

2 comments:

Niki said...

Hey Whitney, I just read the newspaper article about you and Brent running. Good for you!!! That is so awesome that they did the story on Reid and what you guys are doing. I ran a few marathons before kids and I think your cause is so very worthy and so very motivating. I know you guys will Rock!

I'll be thinking of you all on Sunday. good luck,
Niki

Whitney said...

Thanks, Niki! I'm excited about finishing and even though I tease that I may never run again, I think I'll do some maintenance running and I *know* I'll do some sort of exercise. Much different place than I was 6 months ago. :-)