Sunday, December 21, 2008

Gingerbread Cookies

I mixed up the dough yesterday morning and we've been baking these delicious cookies on demand from the freezer. YUM

I used Heidi's recipe at 101 Cookbooks, except I used whole wheat pastry flour (because I had it on hand), added some lemon and orange zest, and had to add about 1 c. of sugar at the end because the dough was bitter. I'm not sure why...her recipes are fabulous and typically right on. I think my blackstrap molasses might be stronger, but I'm not sure. Next time I will use less molasses and maybe a bit of stevia to boost the sweetness. Oh, and I baked them at 300 degrees. After all, however, they turned out fabulous! They are wonderfully cakey, but can be baked more for some crunch. The dough warms up and becomes soft easily so cutting them has been a challenge. I've been cutting them and then sticking the sheet in the freezer before removing the trimmings and/or trying to move the little guys. I finally decided to roll little balls and flatten them...not nearly as cute, but just as delicious and the boys ate the circles just as excitedly.















I'll post a picture of the baked cookies as soon as we bake more...by the time I got my camera, they were all gone. :-)

No comments: