I made it to my first soccer practice last night for my new co-ed, indoor team. It was amazing! I hadn't worn soccer shoes, socks and shin guards in about 8 years...it felt like putting on old, worn in, perfectly fitted body armor. I felt strong; ready to take on the world.
Only 4 of us showed for the practice so we played two on two...for about 40 minutes! We were in the small gym at the boys' school and we ran the whole time. Now, I might be able to run 13 miles like a turtle, but this was constant sprints, kicking, and blocking for 40 minutes. Well, I guess we took about a 3 minute break in the middle for water, but still...whew!! I was out of breath and sweaty and in a bit of pain; it was wonderful. (I knocked knees with another player and also planted a hard kick right into an oncoming kick.)
Did I mention that I was the only woman? (How funny to refer to myself as a woman...am I really so mature?) I didn't perceive them cutting me any slack as I got body-blocked, kicked, and pegged with the ball. :-) We were all physically beat when we stopped and as I walked to my car I felt worn out, content and calm...then I realized I was also giddy. I found my "high."
I will probably continue running a few times a week, but I never found the "runner's high." I found mine last night...I'm hooked!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment