Monday, June 9, 2008

Coincidence?

So, I couldn't figure out why I was inspired to start running at that moment in my life, given that Brent has provided plenty of opportunity and encouragement before. Well, I'm still not sure, but something else happened tonight that has me seriously thinking that maybe I am meant to run *right now.*

While Brent BBQ'd and ate with the boys tonight, I drove over to Luke's Locker for running shoes. There were a lot of people upstairs near the shoe area and I got the impression that a meeting/orientation was going to start soon. When Chris (helpful Luke's employee) and I started talking about why I needed new shoes he explained that the orientation was for their running training program that will start this Saturday and go for 6 months. They have all levels of participants: beginners up to present marathoners. While Chris fitted me for some shoes (he had me walk and run barefoot and in shoes many times to gauge my gait, pronation, arch, etc.) he got all excited about the program. He asked if I believe in coincidences and I admitted that I was already thinking the same thing.

I'm not sure about this. It seems insane to think I could do it!

I am very interested because I really am motivated by esprit de corps, goals, and accountability. BUT this is also something that Brent would LOVE to do. He has been off and on marathon training for a few years, but it peters out due to...something...(boredom, no accountability, no support?). We have been paying for a seldom-used Y membership for a year now. Would this be different? Would I put enough into it and get enough out of it to justify MY doing it instead of Brent? (Someone has to watch the boys during all of the 6am practice runs...our family and friends love us, but not enough to give us 6 months of Saturday sunrises!)

So I have until Wednesday to decide if I will commit to training for a half marathon (that benefits Scottish Rite, no less!). Brent is so excited FOR me and he really wants me to do it. I can tell he really wants to, too, but if only one of us group trains, he said it should be me (since I'm so rarely motivated :-) ).

Ideally, we'd both train. We have figured out that RunOn! also has a training program (different day) and it starts in a month (but he needs to be able to run 90 min. before entering). Brent thinks he can get up to 90 min. in a month on his own (he worked up to 10+ miles last year on his own). So, we think we could both train: me for the half and Brent for the full and we'd spread out the cost of the training programs by signing up two different months. The two programs combined should cost less than the next 6 months at the Y...but will we be able to stand the heat of the summer or will we long for treadmills?

No comments: