Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Amazing Cookies

The boys and I made some * amazing* cookies this morning! They are also probably about as healthy as can be. :-) The flour part is a combination of whole wheat pastry flour and wheat germ, the sugar is a natural, minimally refined version (Sucanat...stands for SUgar CAne NATural)...plus it's organic and fair trade :-), the coconut oil is full of lauric acid, and the almonds are soaked.

These are inspired by Heidi's gorgeous Banana Chip Cookies over at 101 Cookbooks, but they are modified for what I had on hand.

We also followed Heidi's advice to only bake a few and freeze the rest of the blobs of cookie dough to be cooked on demand later. We enjoyed the first batch without taking pictures, but I'll update the post with a picture when we bake more. OK, OK, twist my arm! I'll go bake a few more right now! ;-)

cookie dough! --->


Almond-Chocolate Chunk Cookies
(modified from 101 Cookbooks)
1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup raw wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
scant 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt

1/2 cup solid coconut oil (chill if necessary to make a soft solid)
1 cup Sucanat
1 Tbs honey
2 teaspoons vanilla flavor*

2 large eggs

2/3 cup coconut meat**
1 cup rough chopped 70% chocolate
2/3 cup almonds, chopped***

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In one bowl stir together the first group of dry ingredients.

Mix together the sugar/Succanant, honey, and vanilla (I just stirred the honey and vanilla into the measuring cup of sugar).

In another, larger bowl, beat the coconut oil until it looks lighter. Add the sugar mix in batches and beat until it's smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, beating between. Add the flour mix in a few batches and mix by hand until it's all incorporated. Stir in mix-ins and put each heaping tablespoon of dough 2 inches apart on parchment paper and bake for about 8-10 minutes, until barely golden on top and bottom. Resist over baking, they will come out dry and not as tasty. Cool on racks.

*I love the vanilla flavor instead of extract...it's in a glycerin base instead of alcohol and it tastes *much* better to me, either off the spoon or in a recipe. Some vanilla flavorings are a mixture of pure vanilla and imitation, but this one is amazing...just Glycerin, Fair Trade Certified Vanilla Bean Extractives, Water.

**I used the finely shredded coconut. It pretty much disappears into the cookie. (It's also amazing as an ice cream topping!)

*** I use raw almonds that have been soaked to make them more digestible and then dehydrated to make them crunchy again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These sound great Whitney - I love your substitutions and will absolutely give these a try on this end. Thanks for the feedback on my site as well, I was curious about how they might do with the Sucanat, I've had mixed results in the past. -h

Whitney said...

*We* thought they were great, but we haven't tasted your's, now have we? ;-)

Was it OK with you for me to post the recipe here? I thought posting all my subs and then only linking to your's might be confusing. I tried to give you all the credit, but I'm fairly new to blogging.

Thanks again for a yummy treat!